Dictionaries define stud variously as:
1) A male breeding animal – as in stud horse;
2) A young, virile, man;
3) An earring consisting of a small, button-like ornament mounted on a metal post designed to pass through a pierced ear lobe;
4) Any of a large number of small projecting lugs embedded in an automobile tire (studded tire) to improve traction on snowy or icy roads;
5) A knob, nailhead, or other protuberance projecting from a surface or part, especially as an ornament.
None of these are relevant to this blog. Just interesting. The definition I want is:
6) Any of a number of slender, upright members of wood, steel, etc., forming the frame of a wall or partition and covered with plasterwork, siding, glass, etc.
|Construction workers mounting studs that will support the sheet glass walls on the exterior of Huntsman Hall|